Legendary DC Sports Broadcaster George Michael Dies


[George Michael At The 2007 Redskins Welcome Home Luncheon]


If you were a kid growing up watching sports news in the DC metro area back in the day, you know about George Michael.

Michael was mostly known for the NBC sports feature, The Sports Machine, a weekly sports show where Michael brought sports to life with his witty (and sometimes loud) way of reporting. By the time Michael finished his broadcast segment, you almost felt like you were there.

George passed earlier this morning after a lengthy bout with leukemia. He was 70.

I recall in 2007 when George ended his more than twenty year tenure with News 4. I caught up with him after the Washington Wizards hosted the Miami Heat at the Verizon Center, and he was kind enough to speak with me about his plans after News 4.

I'd just started covering sports in the area, and still very new to the industry. George treated me like I had been in media for years. He was engaging, kind, and with his George Michael smile, granted me one of my most memorable sports interviews.

Here's a snippet below.

DC Urban Sports: What’s it been like being in the business for 27 years?

Geoorge Micheal: “A lot of fun. A lot of great things that you take with you, and you say that you learned a lot, and you hope to do something that is as good as this.”

DCUS: What could possibly be better?

GM: “Really there couldn’t be anything better. So you take the best of what you got, you remember it and you say thanks for letting me be a part of it.”

Michael also talked about his plans to work with NASCAR, and a few of his other endeavors.

GM: “Well, I’ll be doing some NASCAR racing for Direct TV, and there have been a couple of other things. The biggest thing is that Direct TV has asked me to do some racing with Darrell Waltrip, so I want to do that.

I’ll probably do a few baseball games, but I’ll do other things that hopefully I’ll enjoy”.

Michael, for many years, also emceed the Redskins’ Welcome Home Luncheon where he would sometimes roast the players, and joke with the then head coach, Joe Gibbs.

Redskins' owner, Dan Snyder had this to say today about the passing of Michael.

"George was the consummate reporter and a valuable friend. I doubt we'll ever again see a sports reporter who was so admired by the people he covered. He loved his family, he loved sports, and he loved his work. His wife Pat and the rest of his family are in my prayers, and in the thoughts of the entire Redskins organization."

When I asked Michael, during my only interview with him, about his relationship with the Skins he told me the following:

DCUS: You had a really long relationship with the Washington Redskins. I know you’ll miss that.

GM: "Well, I’ll still get the chance to meet with the coach every Monday, so I’m going to continue to do that. But it won’t be the same ‘cause you’re not with the team, and doing the things you want...So you look at the good things and you say, “This has been great”.

It certainly was a great career for George Michael, the man, the former face of DC Sports for so long. His dicey on-air personality made him fun to watch. His no nonsense, no holds barred method of getting the facts and presenting them the 'George Michael way' made him exceptional.

As he said in his final appearance on News 4:

“For 27 years I’ve always tried to do my very best. But whatever I may have given you can’t come close to what you have given me. You see, through your loyal viewership and support you have given me a home, and for that I will always be grateful.

In the sports world, we are grateful to have had you, Mr. Michael.

Related
Michael Hosts Football Legends Event
Michael Bio

Comments