Redskins Training Camp - Day 1

It's hot, even at 9:00 am, at Redskins park as hundreds attended the first day of Redskins training camp. Fans got to see their favorite players in various drills, while unofficial historians behind the ropes in the fan section shout out statistical info of each player that touched the ball, or ran a play successfully.

"Coming to you out of XYZ University, number xx, by way of - whatever state the player is from - he ran for xxx number of yards last year." (This went on for about an hour).

Fans, players, and even coach Zorn give us their take on day number uno.

Fan Reaction.

Eighteen year-old Brian Hoysa, who proudly displayed his DC Wants Vick sign, thinks the quarterback job is Campbell's, but thinks Vick could add something more to the Redskins offense.

"I think Vick could be a threat as a wild cat player. Maybe ten to fifteen downs a game."

On what people said about his sign.

"There's been a lot of player haters who don't like it. Some people smile, other's think I'm joking. But it's a campaign for Vick to let him know he's welcome here."

His friend, Erik, takes a different approach. He carries a sign that counters the 'DC Wants Vick' sign with a sign of his own that says: 'No, We Don't'.

The Redskins have, at least for now, said they are not entertaining the idea of bringing Hampton, Virginia's Michael Vick to DC.



Bring Back the Bleachers
Fans are missing the bleachers from last year's training camp.

Leonard Corbett, a long time 'Skins fan, says the bleachers make watching the training camp more comfortable. "You're still open and exposed to the sun, but at least you'd be sitting down, and you'd be able to stay longer", said Corbett.

By the way, Chris Cooley is Corbett's favorite Redskin player. "He's the most consistent offensive player that they've had for the past couple of seasons. He's my favorite on the team. At least for now."

On what he'd like to see this season: "I'd like to see at least a ten or twelve game winning season."

Fans Critique Jason Campbell

"It was a great session. He was looking good out there. I'm glad he's going to be our starter this year. That's who I came to see", said one Manassas, Virginia dad who bought along his nine year-old son, Cameron and his two friends.

Coach Zorn on Day 1

We caught up with coach Jim Zorn as he was signing autographs for a few fans, to get his thoughts on day one of training camp.

"A great start. I think they practiced like pros. Everybody [was] helping each other out, trying to get better. We really had the chance to work on some details in this first practice that we never got to work on last training camp because we were just starting out."

Clinton "Let Me Give All I Got" Portis
Portis has some in the media wondering if he still has what it takes to play at a high level in the NFL.

Addressing the media after practice, Portis said:

"If I'm on the field, don't rest me, let me give it all I got. If I can't do it, put somebody else in. If I'm on the field and not contributing or the helping the team, that [doesn't] do me any good, but if I'm gonna go on the field, give it to me 'til I come tell you I can't do it."
On The Love/Hate Relationship with Coach Zorn
In a nut shell, all is well.

"I think my relationship with coach Zorn is great. I think it was just a miscommunication thing, and now we're communicating, and now we're on the same page."

Dispelling the Myths and Rumors
Portis has long been the talk of various Clinton Portis antics and rumors. From his dressing up in clown-like hair, to his alter ego, Choo-Choo, Portis is always having to explain himself - from coloring his hair blonde, to reports that he's gay.

"From what I hear, now I'm gay."

"I don't think there's a woman in the United States of America that would say I'm gay. I don't hang around men, I don't have a private life, there's constantly people around me."


Haynesworth Critiques His First Day Efforts
"The first day was a little rough. I wasn't as good as I wanted to be, but it's the first day of camp - first practice - so I got another shot later today."

We asked Haynesworth what he was disappointed with.

"I wasn't as sharp as I wanted to be. It could be rust, could be whatever. [It] could be nervous for you guys (media) and all the fans out here watching, I don't know. I just got to get better. I got another shot in the afternoon to be alright."

Haynesworth said where he's from there were only about three cameras during training day.

"It's a little bit different here."



Don't be so hard on yourself, Albert. We have it on good authority that your coach and teammates think you had a great first day.

More first day photos here.

Day three of training camp continues tomorrow. Brian Orakpo has officially become a Redskin and is expected to participate in his first practice with his teammates on Saturday.

Practice begins at 8:30 am.

Fans welcome.

Related
Redskins VA Lottery Ticket
Redskins Welcome Home
Redskins Car Show

Comments

Anonymous said…
A good day at training camp. I heard yesterday's session was canceled due to the rain.
Anonymous said…
Some would welcome Vick here. He could be an awesome backup, backup QB.
Anonymous said…
I still wonder why so much attention has been giving to mistreatment of dogs. It's clear that some members our society worship dogs that are homeless, or victimized, but won't give a dime to a homeless person on the street.
Anonymous said…
Vick isn't guilty - it's his fam that did had the dog fighting ring. He was just protecting them.

Anyway, let's focus on our Redskins shall we?
candi764 said…
Why not just get them both? We'd have a secret weapon in the shoot, in case 1 goes down.
cando4u said…
You always need a powerhouse back up. Jason would be #1, Vick would be the powerhouse we need at #2.

Simple math to get us to the Playoffs, and win a Super Bowl