Monday In Sports!

Athletes reigned supreme on the red carpet of Saturday's annual White House Correspondents' Dinner at the Washington Hilton.


We saw Richard Sherman, Cam Newton (wearing a left angle boot), Kirk Cousins, Andrew Luck, Tony Romo, Tim Tebow, and 2014 Sochi Olympic winner Sage Kotsenburg.

It did appear, however, that Luck flew under the radar of photographers who seemingly didn't know  who he was.   (Tsk, Tsk). But we at DC UrbanSports know that face anywhere.

VIDEO red carpet arrivals:
Kareem Abdul Jabar.  Russell Wilson.  Cam Newton.  Richard Sherman.

PICS here.

In other sporting news.

A rematch for Mayweather and Maidana?

In what turned out to be one of Mayweather's most exiting fights of recent memory, Mayweather,  remains undefeated and the current WBC and WBA Welterweight World Champion after a hard-fought majority decision victory over Maidana Saturday night in Vegas.

Judge Michael Pernick scored the fight a draw (114-114) while Burt Clemens scored 117-111 and Dave Moretti 116-112.

"I definitely think I won this fight," Maidana said. "Floyd did not fight like the man I expected him to. He made me change the gloves. I had bigger gloves and everything and I still gave him a fight.

"He did win some rounds, but the majority of them I dominated. I did go after him, but he's a difficult fighter."

Said Floyd, "It was a tough, competitive fight.  I gave the fans what the fans wanted to see. Normally, I box and move. Finally, I was in a tough, competitive fight. Tonight, I wanted to stand there and fight and give the fans their money's worth, but, "if fans want to see it again, we'll do it again," Mayweather said.

"I have to give him a rematch because I won the fight," Maidana said. "I'm not scared of him. Why not give him the rematch?"



Comments