Mayweather Victorious Over Canelo; Garcia Grounds Matthysse

"What can I say. We did it again."  -   Floyd Mayweather on his Facebook page.

ESPN makes a very compelling case for Floyd Mayweather after his win over Canelo Alvarez last night at the Las Vegas MGM.

"At this point, the only thing that will be able to stop pound-for-pound king Floyd Mayweather Jr. is Father Time."

Mayweather, at 36 years of age, defeated Alvarez - who is more than ten years Mayweather's junior at 23 - in a twelve-round majority decision, continuing his reign as Junior Middleweight Champion.

Those wanting Flamboyant Floyd to fail will just have wait another decade, or more.



"Seventeen years, and I'm still going strong", Mayweather, the undefeated champion said. "I think had I pressed the attack earlier, I could have gotten the stoppage, but I am very happy with my performance."

Mayweather landed 46% of his punches versus just 22% percent landed by Canelo.

Even at 152 pounds versus Floyd's 145 pounds the frustrated Canelo proved that being the bigger man isn't always an advantage.  What he did prove, however, was that he was no match Mayweather.

Speaking through a translator Canelo recounted his experience with Mayweather. "It was simple: I couldn't catch him. He was very elusive. He's a great fighter. I did not know how to get him. He is very intelligent. He's got a lot of experience. Honestly, I couldn't find him. In the later rounds, I felt frustrated. I recognize that he beat me. I tried to connect on him, but I just couldn't. At the same time, he also missed me a lot. A lot of punches landed on my gloves."

[Mayweather brings two friends along:  Lil' Waynde and Justin Bieber]



In the end the judges scored the match 116-112, 117-111.  One judge who looked through rose colored glasses and thought Canelo was fighting as well as his opponent, scored the fight even at 114-114.

Certainly, Mayweather makes going to work easy.  We should all have it so good:  Renowned attention, fame, and wealth. 

Mayweather took home an estimated $40 million from ticket sales and stands to collect even more after the Pay-Per-View count is final

He credited his father, Floyd Sr. for last night's victory.

"I took my time; I listened to my dad. My father was telling me what to do and to press the attack. My dad had a brilliant game plan."

Last evening's grand showcase of boxing saw Danny Garcia defeating Lucas Matthysse in an 11th round knock down, unanimous decision.

Matthysse suffered a closed eye at the hands of Garcia in the seventh round and was kept off rhythm for the remainder of the fight making it a sure win for the unified 140-pound champion.

Comments