Venus Subs For Serena During Sunday's Upcoming Kastles Match

Venus Williams will return to Washington with the World TeamTennis champion Washington Kastles this Sunday, July 22, replacing sister Serena Williams in the match against the Kansas City Explorers.
Serena withdrew from Sunday's match to further rest her back in advance of the 2012 Olympic Games in London, which begin July 28.
"After winning Wimbledon and Stanford (the Bank of the West Classic on July 15), I need to rest my back," Serena said. "Fortunately, my sister and Kastles' teammate Venus has agreed to sub in for me. I'm disappointed that I won't be able to see my D.C. fans and join my team during its historic streak, but can't wait to go for gold in London."
Venus Williams helped lead the Kastles to a 20-11 win over the Boston Lobsters on Monday at Kastles Stadium at The Wharf. The Venus-led victory over Boston gave the Kastles their 22nd straight win, which surpassed the NFL undefeated mark of 21 games, set by the 2003-04 New England Patriots. Earlier this season, the Kastles exceeded the NHL record of 17 wins, held by the 1992-93 Pittsburgh Penguins.
Immediately after Sunday's match, the three-time gold medalist Venus will fly to London for the 2012 Olympic Games. Two other Kastles players -- team captain Leander Paes and Anastasia Rodionova -- will also participate at the Olympics.
"I am so excited to return to Kastles Stadium and help my team keep the winning streak alive," said Venus. "And I can't think of a more fitting place than D.C., our nation's capital, to play my last match before representing Team USA in London."

Comments