Amir Khan Speaks Via Conference Call

Amir Khan and trainer Freddie Roach speak to the media.

Events for the December 10, 2011 match ups between DC boxer Lamont Peterson and Britain's Pakistani fighter, Amir Khan, along with DC area's own Seth 'Mayhem' Mitchell vs Timur Ibragimov have been taking place all over the city these last few months in anticipation of this being one of the most watched televised and talked about boxing events Washington, DC has seen probably since Mike Tyson lost his last fight to Kevin McBride in 2005 at Verizon Center. (Feel free to advise otherwise).


Amir Khan (left) and Lamont Peterson set to do battle December 10 in Capital Showdown event. Photo CD Brown.

From the boxers making appearances at this year's Fight For Children Fight Night gala, to holding a media workout session in a DC area gym, to delivering Thanksgiving dinners in the community, to attending the upcoming Michigan State football game this weekend, the media blitz is on for this affair.

Lamont Peterson, #1 Rated IBF boxer, has a record of 29 and 1 with 15 knockouts.

Amir Khan is the current Unified Super Lightweight World Champion and currently holds the WBA Super World Championship and IBF Championship.

One night in December, 2011 will determine the fates of both boxers.

This week a conference call with Amir Khan and his trainer Freddie Roach took place where a few interesting comments were made by all parties.

Here are a few excerpts.

Khan Trainer, Freddie Roach

Amir's had a great training camp [in LA] and been looking forward to this fight with Peterson. We know that Peterson is a very, very strong opponent and know Amir is 100 percent ready, and I can't wait to get this going.

On Khan emulating Peterson's style
We're just well prepared for whatever he brings. I've had boxers and bangers both. I mean we're here. If he wants to bang with us, we're ready for that. If he wants to try to box with us, we're ready for that. We're studying tapes of him, and we see where he likes to be and so forth. We're not going to put ourselves in those positions. Amir is just going to be too fast for him in my book.


On Khan's mental approach
Well, you know Amir, he's travelled and we've been everywhere in training camps and fights and so forth. So Amir adapts well to wherever it is. We're in for Lamont Peterson; D.C. is going to be a great place. I've fought in D.C. myself once before and had a good fight with Darryl Tyson, and I look forward to visiting D.C. again and being victorious.

Boxer, Amir Khan

On gaining support from the Pakistani community in our area.
It's just the way I am. I'm not afraid to fight away from home. We could have chosen to fight in England, Manchester, or even fight in Los Angeles or Vegas again away from Lamont's hometown and his home state. But we thought, "We'll take the fight to him and we'll face someone who's in the top five in the world, he's in the top ten and he's ranked number one in the IBF. So we'll fight him and once we beat him then there are no excuses."

Also it's going to build my fan base. I've always wanted to fight in the capital and I've always wanted to fight in different states to build my status in way of a professional. I want people to know who Amir Khan is and they want to see me-it's different watching on T.V. than watching live performances. And I want to give everyone the chance to see me fight live, and this is the best way of doing it, is to travel and fight away from where you feel comfortable fighting.

I mean, that's one thing about me. All my life I've been fighting away from home. I train away from home and I've kind of got used to it. I win fans over and that's what I love doing. I mean the best fight in the world I've done-you look at Manny Pacquaio, he lives in the Philippines but he chooses to come to America and train and also fight away from and fight in different states. I want to do the same thing that he is doing.

On coming to Peterson's town to fight him instead of the other way around.

It's just the way I am. I'm not afraid to fight away from home. We could have chosen to fight in England, Manchester, or even fight in Los Angeles or Vegas again away from Lamont's hometown and his home state. But we thought, "We'll take the fight to him and we'll face someone who's in the top five in the world, he's in the top ten and he's ranked number one in the IBF. So we'll fight him and once we beat him then there are no excuses."

Also it's going to build my fan base. I've always wanted to fight in the capital and I've always wanted to fight in different states to build my status in way of a professional. I want people to know who Amir Khan is and they want to see me-it's different watching on T.V. than watching live performances. And I want to give everyone the chance to see me fight live, and this is the best way of doing it, is to travel and fight away from where you feel comfortable fighting.

I mean, that's one thing about me. All my life I've been fighting away from home. I train away from home and I've kind of got used to it. I win fans over and that's what I love doing. I mean the best fight in the world I've done-you look at Manny Pacquaio, he lives in the Philippines but he chooses to come to America and train and also fight away from and fight in different states. I want to do the same thing that he is doing.

On getting a decision if the fight goes the full ten rounds
We've trained for that long distance. If we see him hurt, we're going to go for the finish. If it does go the distance, I'm sure we're going to win the fight so convincingly that we're going to be way ahead. There's only going to be one winner in the fight, which is going to be me.

On his run in with Timothy Bradley last May
I saw him after his win and he was walking towards me. I mean, he wouldn't look at me. He knew I was there and I said something to him, something like you ought to grow some balls and get in a fight against me and he just didn't look at me again. ... But I just wanted to make him realize and make him know that I'm not scared, and I'm the one who wants to fight. And he needs to man up and take the fight.

On concerns about Peterson's fight style
We are aware of everything he does. We know exactly how he likes to fight and stuff. He can start worrying about; I think he said something like Amir can't take a shot. He's been down so many times off small punches; guys who don't really punch hard. I think with my power and speed, I don't think he can cope with that. But we're not worrying about him. We know exactly what to do. We've been training very hard for this fight and I always feel like a challenger. My job is to go into the fight and just win this fight and that's what I've been doing. I don't care what he brings to the table; we'll have answers for everything.

On if Peterson has enough power to hurt him
I think if he can attack an opponent with the right shot, right on the button, in the right place, then you're going to put them down. That's boxing for you. But we're a lot smarter on my defenses; a lot better than it was before and to those he can bring what he wants to the table. We'll be ready for everything he has.

On fighting more than once or twice a year
First of all, when you fight in your hometown it's going to give you a bolt anyway. It's going to make you go out there try harder. Secondly, I think it's good for me to stay busy; I mean this is my third fight this year. I've been in the gym a lot. I've been fighting. I've been active, so that's going to help me. I'm also younger, so I can kind of cope with fighting three times a year.

But Lamont, I think, one fight a year is a little bit less. But it's one of them things. Last year, I only fought twice a year. So it will be Lamont's second fight this year. At the end of the day, we know he's going to be prepared for it because he knows I'm up to the fight for him. He's not going to take any chances. He's going to go into this fight and that's what's motivating me because I know I'm fighting him in his hometown is only going to make him fight harder and train harder.

It's motivating me and making me train harder in the gym because I know that he's going to want to win this fight in front of his home crowd. I think this is the time where we've got a big, big super fight in front of us, so I can't afford to lose and get beat and to keep on winning-not only winning, but looking good in the fight as well and doing things right. For me this is a big fight. It's going to take me from being a good fighter to being a superstar. So hopefully, Lamont Peterson will make me one of the best fighters in the world.

On his plans to move up a weight class, drug testing, and possibly fighting Floyd Mayweather May 5
One thing about me, I get drug tested with the British Board testers randomly. They can come to my house anytime. They can pop into the gym anytime. When they last come, they were at the gym twice unexpectedly. So, we have to give them a test.

If that fight did come off, I'm happy to give them a test because I'm a clean fighter. That's one thing about me because I went to Olympic Games; I've kind of experienced it myself. But I'm sure if that fight happened, we need a little bit more time to think about it instead of rushing into something so big.

First of all, we've got Lamont Peterson to look ahead of and get Lamont Peterson out of the way, then we know exactly where I am and then I can sit down with my team and Freddie and every one and see where we go from there. But one thing about me I think the world of boxing knows is I never shy away from any fight. I've taken on whoever they put in front of me and I've never refused a fight. That's one thing about me. They put Floyd Mayweather in front of me; I'll be more than ready for Floyd Mayweather. But first of all, we've got Lamont Peterson to take care of.


On if he would fight again in DC if the December 10th fight is a success
Sure, definitely. I like to keep the fans happy and I'm sure once we fight there, the fans will want us back there again. There's not been a big, big fight in D.C. for such a long time, so it'll be good to bring boxing back to D.C.

---

The co-main event will feature another DC fighter, Seth 'Mayhem' Mitchell in a . a showdown against Timur Ibragimov, who is described as a very dangerous, hard, strong puncher in the heavyweight division.

These exciting and very anticipated match ups are presented by Golden Boy Promotions and Khan Promotions, set to take place Saturday, December 10th, at the Walter E. Washington Convention Center in DC.

It will be televised live in the United States on HBO's World Championship Boxing starting at 9:45 p.m. Eastern and 6:45 p.m. Pacific time and on Sky Sports in the United Kingdom.

For info visit AmirKhanWorld.com, and Golden Boy Promotions

Related
Monday, December 5th, will be the official kickoff Capital Showdown Week with events planned around the city.

Fernando Guerrero, 25, out of Salisbury, Maryland has been added to the undercard of the December 10th match ups. Other area boxers include Terron Grant, Thomas Williams, Jr., and Dusty Harrison.

While Lamont Peterson is the headliner for the Capital Showdown, we can't forget his brother Anthony Peterson, also scheduled to fight on the card.

Here's what we call 45 Seconds With Anthony Peterson.



Anthony will face Daniel "The Prophet" Attah (26-8-1, nine KO's), also a DC figure head, in a 10-round lightweight contest. Attah is a former NABO Super Featherweight champion who hails from Nigeria.

Attah History: Fought Acelino Freitas for the WBA and WBO Super Featherweight titles in 2002 in a 12-round unanimous decision in Phoenix, AZ, ending in a loss. Attah is coming off a sixth-round stoppage loss to Roman Martinez for the WBO Inter-Continental Super Featherweight title on October 1 in Bayamon, Puerto Rico.

---

Want more?

Watch fight called succulent to the palette.

Just added! Watch Lamont and Anthony Peterson shadow boxing.

See also, Seth Mitchell Spars

In other area fight news
Jimmy Lange Boxing returns with three world title fights scheduled for Feb. 11, 2012, headlined by Jimmy Lange's WBU title defense. Ashburn's Tori Nelson is set to defend her WIBA belt with a third world title contest to be announced soon. Great beltway bout between Chantilly's Zain Shan and Maryland's Tony Jeter plus undefeated Todd Wilson of Fairfax goes for his 12th win.

Tickets go on sale December 7 at Ticketmaster outlets including the Patriot Center box office.

Comments