What You Might Not Have Heard About Dan Snyder Today

While reports today focused on Dan Synder's comments about Super Bowl 2014 being played in New York, his comments about Albert Haynesworth not attending the recent OTAs, or the Skins making an offer to Michael Westbrook to join the team, what fell under the radar was Synder awarding a college scholarship to one lucky, local student.

Kiana Hardy, an Oxon Hill High School graduate is the latest recipient of the Washington Redskins' Charitable Foundation Scholarship Fund awards program.

Kiana Hardy, recipient of a $25,000 college scholarship - courtesy of the Redskins Charitable Foundation's Scholarship Fund.

Hardy's parents and grand parents were on hand today during a press conference out at Redskins Park along with owner Daniel Snyder.

"Excited", was the word Kiana's dad, David Bond, used to describe the occasion.

A self-proclaimed Philadelphia Eagles fan (and recently converted Redskin fan), Bond got two gifts from his new favorite team. His favorite quarterback, Donovan McNabb, and the gift that keeps on giving - seeing his daughter become the first family member to attend college.

"We're looking forward to her having a great collegiate career, and we're just thrilled that we can help", said Snyder.

Hardy will attend Spelman College this Fall where she will be a biology/pre-med student, with a minor in Spanish.

Already thinking about giving back to the community Hardy said, "One day, I hope to become a bilingual pediatrician. I hope to attend Howard Medical School and come back and be able to work at Children's Hospital."

Hardy applied for several other scholarships including one with the Divine Nine's, Delta Sigma Theta sorority of which she is associated, and Ebenezer Baptist Church.

None of those could match what she received from the Washington Redskins Charitable Foundation Scholarship Fund.

Hardy received the call from Synder and head coach Mike Shanahan.

"When I actually found out I won, I was in tears. I couldn't wait to tell my family, everyone, all my friends. I'm just so appreciative."

Hardy said she began the scholarship application process in February of this year and when she hadn't heard anything she thought someone else had won and was preparing to implement her backup plan.

“I still was going to go to Spelman, but I was paying mostly with the loans.

Last year's recipient, Clayton Armstrong, a graduate of Ballou HS was also on hand to congratulate Hardy. Armstrong is a Political Science major who just completed his first year of college at the University of Arizona.

"It got rough, but I stuck it out and finished with a 3.5 GPA", said Armstrong.

He offered the following advice for Hardy as a soon-to-be college freshman. "I just warned her it's overwhelming, but she can do it."

Armstrong, the first recipient of the Foundation’s scholarship, credits the college scholarship fund for his success and said going to Arizona helped broaden his horizons. "I want to make sure my education is diverse and that I got away from home to see what the rest of the country is like. Going to the University of Arizona, that was big for me."

Broadening his horizons also included working as an intern at the White House last summer. He was chosen along with a handful of students to participate in the White House's D.C. Scholars internship program last summer.

Armstrong is hoping to continue the success he had last summer as he awaits word from several internship opportunities he applied to.

"This summer, I'm still waiting on confirmation on a couple of internships that I've applied for. I'm not really sure what I'm doing this summer, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to be working at somebody's office."

Kiana plans to keep busy this summer as well. She plans to work with the Maryland Parks and Planning Commission where she will be a camp counselor.

Comments