Out At Redskins Park: Williams In. Campbell Out.


The Redskins' 4th round draft pick was officially introduced to the media yesterday.

Williams, along with his mother (Fern), fiance, two cousins, friends, and agent also showed up to support Williams.

"It hasn't sunk in yet", said Williams' mother after we asked her feelings about her son becoming a professional player in the NFL. "I still haven't gotten used to it yet."

She told us also that back home, they've already started calling his former high school (Longview) "LoboSkins".

While Williams' mom may not have a lot to say, just yet, Williams was open and ready to talk about what this experience has been like for him.

“It’s been a whirlwind. It’s a life-changing event. Emotions kind of get overwhelming at times, but I feel like I did a good job so far holding it in and looking at everything in perspective. It was a dream.”

A dream that has come true.

Williams, like most athletes with respect for and enough talent to play the game at the professional level, said it was something he hope for since his days in college where he played left tackle his final season at Oklahoma, allowing for just two quarterback sacks. (Oh, if we had that in Washington).

“I have thought about that since I was in college. Just seeing how I would fare against the next level of competition. I have been playing this game my whole life. I think I can adjust to anything. It’s going to take hard work. It won’t be easy but I’m ready for it.”

Redskins offensive line coach, Chris Foerster agrees, fielding questions about whether Williams has what it takes when it comes to strength.

“I really didn’t see that as being real issue when evaluating him on tape. He’ll work real hard and he’ll obviously gain the strength that he needs to continue to compete at a high level.”

Williams looks forward to a promising start here in Washington - his fiance and two year old daughter, Micah in tow.

“I’m just ready to play. I want to get out there on Sundays and be able to compete with the best of them.”

Photos.
_________________________

Redskins Trade Jason Campbell.

Jason Campbell was traded to the Oakland Raiders for a fourth-round selection in the 2012 NFL Draft.

Campbell played for Washington five years, starting in 52 games, passd for 10,860 yards, 55 TDs, and 38 interceptions.

Campbell says he's moving on with his career and his life.

“Sometimes change comes in your life, change comes in your career, and you’ve just got to be ready to adapt. I’m going to go out to Oakland and give 110 percent and do everything I can to help that organization become a winning team. Obviously, that was my goal here. Of course, a lot of things happened and we weren’t able to accomplish that goal. But hopefully this time around it’ll happen. I just wish the best of luck to the Redskins, and I’m moving forward in my career and my life. This is a great opportunity for me, and that’s the way I’m looking at it.”

In other Redskin Draft news, Washington has acquired linebacker Perry Riley, also their fourth-round pick.

The 6-1, 238 backer played for the LSU . In 2008 Perry was named Defensive player MVP.

What a way to celebrate a birthday. Riley celebrates his on May 3rd.

Related
Scouting Report: Trent Williams

Comments