Out At Redskins Park

Skins release punter Shawn Suisham and sign Graham Gano to the roster.

Gano played for the Las Vegas Locomotives of the United Football League. He played college football at Florida State, where he won the Lou Groza Award and garnered All-America honors during his senior season.

Gano signed with the Baltimore Ravens as a free agent immediately after the 2009 NFL Draft, but was waived September 5th due to his loss to Steve Hauschka for the Ravens starting kicker job in the 2009 preseason.

Suisham (18-21), the only scorer for the Redskins in earlier games this season, was largely criticized for missing a 23 yard kick during last Sunday's game against the undefeated New Orleans Saints that could have sealed the win for the Skins.

Suisham, who turns 28 on December 29th, also missed a pivotal kick in the 6-7 home loss to the Dallas Cowboys on November 11th.

With just four games remaining in the season for the Washington Redskins, and no hope for the playoffs, many are wondering if the decision to release Suisham at this juncture, was really necessary.
___________________________

Clinton Portis On IR

Skins running back Clinton Portis has been placed on season-ending Injured Reserve with a concussion. Portis suffered the injury during a game at Atlanta on Nov. 8 and has missed the last four games.

Portis, who has sought medical attention from doctors in Pittsburgh, rushed for 494 yards on 124 carries (4.0 avg.) and one touchdown. He also caught nine passes for 57 yards and a touchdown.

Portis on whether he'll return next season:

"Do I think there will be change? I do," Portis said. "And if I'm part of that change would I be sad and devastated? I won't. I think I'm appreciative of everything Mr. Snyder and the Washington Redskins have done for me, the opportunities they gave me.

"I'm 28, man. I'm not going to be devastated: 'Oh, man, football is over.' I enjoyed it. I had fun doing it. I gave everything I had doing it. I did it to the best of my ability. The day that I sit down and I look back on my career I think I will enjoy the highlights. If I get to continue and I'm not in D.C. and I have to play for someone else, I will give it all I got there as well."

____________________

Redskins Sign Another Player. Release Eloi.

Also at The Park, the Redskins have signed wide receiver James Robinson to their practice squad. To make room on the practice squad, the Redskins released wide receiver Keith Eloi, who was picked up on Dec. 2nd by the team.

Robinson (6-3, 200) has spent parts of the 2009 season on both the Cleveland Browns’ and Miami Dolphins’ practice squads. He signed as a member of the Browns’ practice squad on Nov. 18, but was released on Dec. 1. Robinson originally entered the NFL as a free agent with the Miami Dolphins on Aug. 10, but was later released on Sept. 5. He re-signed with the Dolphins’ practice squad on Sept. 7, but was released on Nov. 3. Robinson will wear jersey No. 14. He played collegiately at Butler (Kan.) Community College.

Comments