Allen Iverson Is, Isn't, Is, .... Retiring

The Circle of (a NBA Player's) Life



The continuing saga with Allen Iverson's retirement, non-retirement, retirement continues to mystify both NBA coaches, and players alike.

Allen, who found a home with the Memphis Grizzlies almost three months ago had this to say upon first joining the team:

"God Chose Memphis as the place that I will continue my career," he wrote. In a post a few minutes later, he said, "I feel that they are committed to developing a winner and I know that I can help them to accomplish that. I feel that I can trust them."

Well, that didn't work out so well, either. So, Iverson contemplated whether he should retire from the NBA altogether.

"I would like to announce my plans to retire from the National Basketball Association,” Iverson said in a statement released to Stephen A. Smith. “I always thought that when I left the game, it would be because I couldn’t help my team the way that I was accustomed to. However, that is not the case. I still have tremendous love for the game, the desire to play, and a whole lot left in my tank. I feel strongly that I can still compete at the highest level.”

That was just days ago.

Now, Philadelphia (the city where is career began) is eyeing Iverson, and Iverson may get the chance to use whatever is left in the tank he speaks of.

The 5-11 Philadelphia 76ers are struggling right now, losing their last five games - one of them, 107-108, to the Wizards in DC on Tuesday.

At this juncture, should Iverson return to Philly, he would be replacing Lou Williams (who sustained a broken jaw colliding with Wizards' Antawn Jamison) in a starting role - giving Iverson the playing time he seeks.

“We have absolutely nothing to lose by bringing Iverson back", a team source said.

"Nothing at all."

And so the circle of life continues.

Comments