Lange Wins WBC Title - Opponent Announces Retirement!

On a night when so much was going on in the world of sports, the WBC Title bout between Jimmy Lange and Frank Houghtaling beat out the Kentucky Derby, HBO boxing between Manny Paquiao and Ricky Hatton, a couple of NBA Game 7s, and even the Washington Capitals, as Great Falls, VA fighter Jimmy Lange defeated New York's Frank Houghtaling in a hard hitting 5th round TKO, leaving the Houghtaling corner to call the fight. (Fight photos).

Lange on Houghtaling

“It was a good fight. I caught him pretty early. I was able to get to him in just about every round. He was pretty much in survival mode. I knew it was just a matter of wearing him down, trying to pour on as many shots as I could. He has a very good punch. Very talented fighter. I trained hard, but you know, I gotta be honest with you, I take my hat off to him.”

Lange On Training For The Fight
“I’ve completely changed my whole training camp, and style, in my new training camp. We trained for 6 weeks or so to jump on guys right in the beginning, and fight the whole time… to break a guy’s will, and that’s what I did. I started faster than I usually do, and that’s what Don stressed.”

(Trainer) Don Turner on Lange
“When I saw him I was surprised. I trained a lot of fighters, and this was probably the best camp that I’ve had. That’s including Holmes, Holyfield, all of them. This kid really wants to work, and I think he can go far. He works hard and doesn’t complain. He complains that we don’t do enough.”

Houghtaling Announces Retirement
“I said before the fight to my wife and kids, this is it for me. I’m going to be known as the “Punching Preacher. I’m going to school for my masters in Divinity. Now it’s time to go work for God instead of working in the ring.”

A New Record
Jimmy Lange (30-3-2, 21 KOs) over Frank “The Punching Preacher” Houghtaling (19-16-5, 4 KOs), in a 5th round TKO.

**Update** The win ranks Lange at #11 in the May 2009 North American Boxing Federation (NABF) Ratings. Lange can also expect to achieve a world ranking next month when the WBC ratings are announced.


Also on the Night
Great action from the other fighters on the card. Take a look...

Andrew Jackson (1-0, 1 KO) def. Delonte Marshall (0-3) KO 1:55 2nd Round

Kendrick Walker (1-2-1, 1 KO) draws Taurean Edwards (0-1-1) Majority Draw (40-36, 38-38, 38-38)

Yieta Johnson (2-2, 2 KOs) def. “Tatoo” Tom Mitchell (0-2) TKO :58. Says Johnson after his second win over Mitchell, "I'm just fighting for Tom. I'm just here for him." Mitchell went into the ring to bring awareness to

Otgonbayer Daivii (3-2, 1 KO) def. Francois Ambang (2-3) Split Decision (37-39, 39-38, 39-37)

Jennifer Salinas (10-1, 4 KOs) def. Tina Leadbeater (2-3) KO 2:05 2nd Round

Juan “Savior” Rodriguez (3-0, 3 KOs) def. Dwartney Wortham (0-2) TKO :54

Purcell “Hard Rock” Miller (23-5-1, 18 KOs) def. Tom Wilt (21-7, 4 KOs) Unanimous Decision (77-74, 77-74, 77-74)

(1-0, 1 KO) def. Delonte Marshall (0-3) KO 1:55 2nd Round

Kendrick Walker (1-2-1, 1 KO) draws Taurean Edwards (0-1-1) Majority Draw (40-36, 38-38, 38-38)

Yieta Johnson (2-2, 2 KOs) def. “Tatoo” Tom Mitchell (0-2) TKO :58

Otgonbayer Daivii (3-2, 1 KO) def. Francois Ambang (2-3) Split Decision (37-39, 39-38, 39-37)

Jennifer Salinas (10-1, 4 KOs) def. Tina Leadbeater (2-3) KO 2:05 2nd Round

Juan “Savior” Rodriguez (3-0, 3 KOs) def. Dwartney Wortham (0-2) TKO :54

Purcell “Hard Rock” Miller (23-5-1, 18 KOs) def. Tom Wilt (21-7, 4 KOs) Unanimous Decision (77-74, 77-74, 77-74)

Comments

Anonymous said…
This was a good fight. Jimmy should be proud. and he is only getting better.