The Curious Case of Michael Vick

I knew horse racing was wrong.

I never bet on horses. The thought of animals being whipped by jockeys to make them run faster around a track wasn’t appealing to me at all. (I feel the same about the ill-treatment of circus animals).

But boy was I sickened by this…

In 2005, more than 91,000 horses were slaughtered in this country in three slaughterhouses, all of whom are owned by foreigners. No one is quite sure how many of those were thoroughbreds, but the best guess is that about 9,000 former race horses were killed in this country last year for human consumption.
Many are horses who were either too slow or infirmed to compete any longer on the racetrack. Without a trip to the breeding shed in their future, these are horses that have little or no economic value except for whatever the meat on their bones is worth. Read more.

As I’ve said before, with all the grossly inhumane things allowed to happen to animals around the world, I still can’t figure out how Michael Vick gets sentenced to jail for dog fighting.

Related
New York Times Article
Horse Slaughtering Ban Stalled In House
What about the fish fighters?

More Vick stories on DC UrbanSports.

Comments

Rider said…
You'd be surprised.