Say Hello To Washington’s Newest $100 Million Dollar Man

February 27, 2009 – In free agency take-over, the Redskins sign 6’6”, 320 pound defensive tackle, Albert Haynesworth, to a seven year, $100m contract in hopes of making the Redskins more of a contender for the 2009 season.

In today's press conference at Redskins Park, Zorn said:
“Free agency didn’t just start last night for us.”
“It started several weeks ago. As we started looking at all the potential players that could become a Washington Redskin, Albert Haynesworth was one of these players.”

Often likened to the fierce Green Bay Packers’ defensive end, Reggie White, (now deceased) who led the league in sacks, Haynesworth totaled a career 454 tackles, 24.0 sacks, seven forced fumbles, and 120 quarterback pressures.

In 2008 he was named AFC starter in the 2008 Pro Bowl and finished seventh in the AFC, leading the Tennessee Titans with a career-high 8.5 sacks.

Although labeled a ‘difference maker’ by coach Zorn, Haynesworth has also worn another label.

In 2006, Haynesworth stomped on the head of Dallas Cowboys center, Andre Gourge in the third quarter of a game against Dallas requiring Gourge to have 32 stitches. Haynesworth was suspended for five games.

After the issue was addressed today by a media member, Haynesworth replied,
“I’m starting a new chapter in my life after my ‘incident’ and I’m looking forward to adding to it.
“Do I want to be remembered as the player who kicked a player in the head, or do I want to be remembered as a player who turned around, took his punishment, did what he did, stepped up and became a great player?”
No stranger to controversy, Haynesworth was restrained, also in 2006, after kicking former team mate Justin Hartwig in the chest during workout drills.
“I never thought I’d be here, Haynesworth told the roomful of reporters. My uncle is a big Redskins fan, and I’d hear about the tradition of it. To be standing here with its history and to go forward, is amazing.”
Haynesworth was presented with an official #92 Washington Redskins jersey.

“This is for my mom to wear to the games”, Haynesworth said upon receiving the jersey from Zorn.

Indeed mom, Linda, was in the audience watching her son become the highest paid defensive tackle in the history of professional football.

When we asked her what she thought about her son becoming a Redskin, she replied,
“I’m thinking my son has a great opportunity, and I’m going to be behind him one-hundred percent, encouraging him, praying for him everyday, and you know, we’re going to do this. He can do this. I’m very pleased with this opportunity that he has.”
When we asked Haynesworth which team members have made him feel welcome and who he's meshed well with so far, Haynesworth said, laughing: "Dan Snyder." Added Haynesworth,
“I’m excited and I’m ready to play. What you can expect out of me is what you saw in Tennessee.”
By all accounts, and if history does, in fact, repeat itself the Redskins and fans could be in store for a very interesting season.

Photo gallery.

In other Redskins' free agency deals, the Redskins are rejoined with guard Derrick Dockery (5 years, 26.5m) and retain corner back, DeAngelo Hall (6 years, $54m).

I guess good things really can happen after midnight.

Comments

Anonymous said…
That's a lot of moneeey.
Anonymous said…
Can we get more than 1 player at a time?
Anonymous said…
I'm sure his mom his proud. His anger management problems seriously need addressing. This is for his own sake. I can only image what the women in his life must have gone through with this man. (We don't need another Chris Brown/Rihanna incident).
Anonymous said…
We'll have to see if his anger management problems have been curtailed, if not dissolved. I can only image what the women in his life have gone through. We don't need another Rihanna/Chris Brown debacle.
Anonymous said…
Having said that, he better not bring that ish to DC. I don't care how much they're payin' him. He better straighten up and fly right!


That's real!
Anonymous said…
He kept saying it wasn't about the money....RIGHT... it's always about the money! (honey)

Who would turn down $100 million dollars over 7 years?