Mike 'The Hulk' Easton Wins UWC 'Man O' War' Championship Title

February 21, 2009 - Saturday’s Man O’ War event at GMU's Patriot Center proved that Easton was indeed the ‘man’ by winning over Justin Robbins (13-7-1) at 4:44 into the third round (guillotine choke) to take the UWC Bantamweight championship title.

“He (Robbins) was great, he was tough”, said Easton.

“He came from a great camp, and we were prepared. The plan was to wear him down. I was ready for four or five rounds to steadily break him down. I trained hard. I had a game plan.”

Robbins was a last-minute replacement after the highly anticipated Chase Beebe was scratched from the event.

Beebe, who suffered a knee injury in training camp, failed to show for the fight’s official weigh-in on Friday. It is reported that Beebe’s inability to train, was a factor in his not making the 135 pound fight weight requirement.

“I don’t have anything bad to say about him. Chase Beebe is an awesome fighter and he’s a great champion as well, and maybe in the future we’ll get a chance to fight.”
On which of the fighters Easton preferred: “Didn’t matter. I’m willing to fight anyone in the battamweight division.”

Easton improves his record to 7-1.

“As of tonight, I am the champion. I won the belt tonight, but as of tomorrow I’m looking at it as I don’t have the belt anymore so I can get back to training. I’m hungry.”

Easton, who trains out of the Team Lloyd Irvin camp, says he’s representing the fighters in the DC metro area.
“I want people to know we got the best fighters right here. It’s time to look at the mid-Atlantic and East Coast. We’re here, baby, and we’re on top.”
View photos.

New York’s Jamal ‘The Suit’ Patterson (5-2) won over Virginia Beach’s Antwain “The Juggernaut” Brit (8-1) in a :44 first round stoppage.

“He (Brit) was a good fighter”, said Patterson. “But today was my day.”

Patterson went on to say that he’s looking to “get better every day to become the best fighter he can be.”

In the first of its kind, two female fighters made their UWC fight debuts.

Iman ‘Mannie’ Achhal (1-0) and Felice ‘Lil Bulldog’ Herrig after a slow start, went toe-to-toe, wowing the crowd with extreme blows and punches.

Achhal, an immigrant who fled Morocco to escape an arranged marriage, said of her win, “If that wasn’t a great fight, then I don’t know what people expect. The fight had a little bit of everything; stand ups, takedowns”.

Achhal said of her opponent, “She (Herrig) was very aggressive, I was aggressive.”

The 120 pound fighter credits Capital Jiu-Jitsu training center in Sterling, Virginia for her success.

“I’m in the best school in the world, man. There was no way she (Herrig) was gonna touch me on the ground.”

Achhal endured homelessness before becoming a Fairfax County firefighter. She has also been a painter and roofer before turning to MMA. A tough fighter who’s seen adversity, Achhal has these words for women and girls back in her native Morocco:
“Do what you want to do. Don’t let anybody tell you what you’re supposed to do. That’s what I broke out of. Do what you really feel like you want to do.”
The fight between Acchal and Herrig found Iman winning via split decision.

Other matches on the evening:

The matchup between Virginia Beach fighter Levon ‘The Main Man’ Maynard and Harrisonburg, Virginia's Kyle ‘The Alleycat’ Baker saw Baker winning 2:57 into round two, via stoppage. Baker’s thunderous punches and strikes proved too much for Maynard and Baker gained control for most of the fight.

“It was a good fight. I think I got hit a little too much. It was a bit of a grudge match; not really between me and Levon, but our corners don’t like each other.”
“I thought he was tough. I didn’t expect him to be so strong – I thought I was gonna bully him around a bit more. He was definitely a tough opponent.”

Said Maynard of the fight:

“It was a tough fight. Kyle was really strong, good stamina. At the end, I thought I could have continued. I was wobbling, but I wasn’t out yet, but it was a good fight.”

“I expected him to do that clinch (move). I didn’t expect him to be as strong as he was, and be able to hold the clinch so long and continue to fight as he was,” added Maynard.

Kris ‘Savage’ McCray (2-0) defeated Rockville, Maryland’s Manny Okorie who made his pro debut. McCray won 4:51 in the first round, via a Rear Naked Choke.

Cody ‘Donnybrook’ Donovan (4-1) defeated John Doyle (6-5) 2:33 in the second round; while John ‘The Magician’ Dodson escaped with a win over crowd favorite, Jose ‘The Pistol’ Villarisco in the 124 weight class.

The matchup between Richie ‘The Dirty Samurai’ Hightower (8-3) and Marcus Foran (5-3) drew attention when the fight was ruled a no contest due to illegal elbows of Hightower. The maneuver would leave Foran on the canvas for several minutes regaining his composure.

Local favorite, Ron ‘The Choir Boy’ Stallings (7-3-1) won over former Green Bay Packer, Herbert ‘Whisper’ Goodman (8-5) via knock out, 4:56 in the first round.

“I’ve been training for like two and half months, and my wrestling has been improving”, said Stallings.

“I thought I wouldn’t get taken down at all, and he (Goodman) did it twice tonight. That was pretty impressive. You saw his arms he’s definitely stronger than me.”
Seen around the cage:

Washington Capitals’ Alexander Ovechkin, and Donald Brashear; Redskins' Chris Cooley; UFC fighters Matt Hughes, and Robbie Lawler.

UWC’s next event, Capital Punishment, is being planned for April 25, 2009 at the Patriot Center.

See www.uwcmma.com for details.

See fight photos.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Awesome stuff!
Anonymous said…
Chase Beebe will get his turn to fight in the Nation's Capital. And I can't wait!