Monday In Sports!

Redskins Win Over Dallas! Coach Zorn Only Coach To Defeat Dallas First Time Out!

(Getty photo: James Thrash celebrates after scoring a TD).


Let me say that again...

The Redskins Defeat the Dallas Cowboys, 26-24 !

“It’s a great feeling to do something no one else thought you could do”, said Skins QB, Jason Taylor.

At twelve pounds lighter, Campbell threw for 231 yards, and 2 TDs as the Redskins defeated the Dallas Cowboys (on their home turf), 26-24.

In what was an on-the-edge-of-your-seat game that had many wondering if we really stood a chance at beating Dallas, especially after Skins offensive lineman, Casey Rabach was called not once, but twice, for offensive holding just when the Skins were about to score in Dallas territory. (I’m still trying to wrap my head around this).

Game Highlights
Clinton Portis, who finished with 121 yards on 21 carries, picked up two first downs.

Santana 'Hit Me With The Wide Receiver' Moss had eight catches for 145 yards, and a TD.

Campbell threw touchdown passes to James Thrash and Antwaan Randle El in the first half, while punter, Shaun Suisham completed four field goals, pivotal in the game’s scoring that kept Dallas at bay.

Trouble for Dallas
While the Skins missed chances to score two touchdowns, the ever competitive Cowboys made a few blunders of their own, as a pass to Terrell Owens in the end zone from Tony Romo with two minutes in the game, was missed (to the enjoyment of Redskins fans everywhere).

Said Owens, after the game: “I felt like I had some opportunities. I just run my routes, and that’s all I can do. I try to get open.”

“I’m a competitor, so I want the ball”, said Owens.

Romo would try again, this time throwing to Dallas’ wide receiver, Miles Austin with 1:55 in the game. The pass would come up short; however, (the third time being the charm) another attempt at Austin would garner a TD, allowing Dallas to creep up on the Skins 24-26.

My Thoughts At This Juncture
All that hard work from the Redskins for nothing. Dallas was making a comeback. However . . .

Light At The End of The Tunnel
A field goal attempt by Dallas, in the 4th quarter, lands up in the air - through the hands of Sam Herd - and out of bounds, destroying any chance of a Dallas win.

A Winning Redskins’ Sunday
(RD KO DC) Redskins KO Dallas Cowboys

Jim Zorn is the 1st coach to defeat Dallas his first time out since George Allen. Those who gave it a try previously were Steve Spurrier, Joe Gibbs, Marty Schottenheimer, and Terry Robiskie.

One For the Ages
The Skins left an indelible mark at Dallas Stadium, one that is surely worthy of their 'Farewell To Texas Stadium' page.

After-the-game Quotes

Santana Moss

On Jason’s performance:
“I tell Jason all the time: “Don’t feel pressured. “ You have ten other guys on the field, just give us the opportunity, and that’s what’s he’s doing.”

On the win at Dallas: “If you come here and win, it feels real great.”


Coach Jim Zorn

On JC: “Here’s what Jason Campbell did, in my mind. He stayed concentrated in a difficult situation.”

“I tell him all the time, bear down, grit your teeth, if you must, to stay concentrated.”

On winning at Dallas: “We did what we had to do to get a win. It was very difficult game to watch, especially towards the end.”

On being the first coach to get a win at Dallas the first time out: “I hope I getter.”

“I hope you haven’t seen my best. I’m always working to improve myself.”

“I’m looking for more improvement each week.”


Greg Blache, Skins offensive coach:

On getting the win: “I’m proud and happy, but we still have to get better. We had three mistakes on TD passes.”

On beating Dallas: “You can call it what you want – but no one else has beat Dallas [this year] and we did that.”

“They [the Redskins] prepared to win, and that’s what they did.”


Post Game Items That Caught My Attention
Comcast’s post-game interview with Antwaan Randle El.

On what he’ll do on the plane ride back home.

"I’ll listen to music, get into the Word, then I’ll probably go to sleep."

On what music he listens to on his IPOD after the game.

Donnie McClurkin’s song, ‘Again’. God has been in my life not just on the field, but off the field. I've got a wife and five kids, and He shows up again, and again."

Awww! Nice! (God's (and Donnie's) stock just went up 10 points after Antwaan's testimony.)

Up next
After a couple days off, the 3 and 1 Redskins prepare for Philadelphia.

Ouch!
Dallas Owner, Jones, Fined $25,000

A Piece of Trivia
Read 'When Zorn Was a Cowboy'


Comments

Anonymous said…
Mistakes happen, Casey will get over it and move on.
Anonymous said…
Go Redskins! Beat Philly!